Thursday, January 29, 2009

Decorating In The Most Useful Way ~ Or ~ Coloring Outside The Lines



dec'o~rate  v.   adorn {don't you just love it}; ornament

~ and ~

use'ful  a.   that can be used;  helpful {now that's what I'm talking about}


Since the dawn of time...or at least as far back as I can remember...I have never colored inside the lines.  I don't think of myself as a trouble~maker...quite the opposite...I am a get~along kind of a gal.  Coloring outside the lines is just fun~er!

So being a pack~rat and not just any pack~rat, but a pack~rat with style...out of necessity I had to develop a decorating style to store useful items that I have gathered over the years.  My children have often said to me...."can we just have a normal house?..."  And I quote one of my favorite lines from the movie 'Practical Magic'...

"My darling child, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue?  It rather denotes a lack of courage!"

The fact is that I have always looked for interesting and not~normal ways to decorate with useful items...AMEN!

Baskets storing fabric that I am marinating for future sewing projects...

More fabric marinating...

Yep, I'm a stacker....I think of it as layers of decorating....yeah...whatever!

I can dress it up how ever I like...but I am still a pack~rat...but at least I am trying to have style...

Quilts waiting for a chilly eve...

Chippy, peel~y, rustic 'ol tool box of flatware delight...



And just for giggles...add a couple of old spindle~y things...remember...outside the line~olas...

This is called a 'salt pig'...I love it...very decorative AND very usefu and a tad unusual...

Gigantic jar of kitchen tools...

I have done this for years...very useful and I love how it looks...AND....it's not normal...thank goodness!

I hope that you find ways to color outside the lines daily.

Smiles ~ Ramona

5 comments:

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Ramona girl, I will send some fresh eggs right over! I love this. I am always surrounded by eggs, and way too many chickens and feathers, thank God the chickens are outside! But I love the eggs like this! How adorable. I too am a stacker and a piler...I love the look of baskets and quilts stacked...well and money too if we are being honest! hahahha
Blessings,
Debbie

Blogger said...

Ramona, it all looks fabulous to me!

I had to laugh at the marinating fabric in the baskets...I thought you were going to say that is how you hide clutter...under the fabric! That's what I'd do ;)

That basket of eggs is very clever!

Your kids will so appreciate your decorating skills and your 'olas' one day ;)

I hope you have popped over to my blogs to enter all of the giveaways going on ;)

Take care, Ramona :)

Unknown said...

Looks wonderful, as usual! Love all of your baskets scattered about, and especially love the flatware caddy...

And "normal" is so overrated....

Besides, it looks totally normal to me...

Darlene said...

Hi Ramona,

I love your fabric marinating...that is just great. Love the stacked boxes, love the quilts, LOVE it ALL! Also, the eggs in the basket are wonderful.

All of your pretties look very normal to me!

Missy Wertz said...

I love it all! Very Kewl!